Welcome!!

All these years as a teacher I've learnt that unless another teacher helps you, there are some problems you can not solve.

This idea triggered this blog, teachers working with teachers. All of us helping each other.

Please, join us!! Let's help each other!!

viernes, 11 de diciembre de 2015

4 Tips to Survive Oral Exams

Most probably giving oral exams is the only thing I hate from being a teacher -conferences with parents is the second best.

For the last two days, I have tested around 200 students. And, while I was listening to the students I thought there are a couple of things I wanted to share with you.


1. Paraphrase your questions

If you can design the questions, remember to include at least 5 supporting questions for each question in the exam. These are to help test takers when they don't understand or don't know what to answer. Sometimes they study the topics in a certain way, but then in the exam they see them from a different point of view and their anxiety does not allow them to notice it.

2. Marking

It's not a good idea to write their marks (or comments) while they are talking. Try to train your memory, so that you are able to remember the comments and write them down at the end of the exposition. I think this is a good strategy for those students who have a low self-esteem and are convinced that whatever they say is trash. If you devote your full attention to them, they will feel important and respected.

3. Smile

I've just started reading "The shining" by Stephen King. And in the very first chapter he mentions that during the interview Jack has a "public relations smile". This is fine but it looks quite weird.

Our smile should be warm and loving, but not too loving- or the candidate would feel you are flirting.

My first job was in Mc Donald's, and I remember we even had a whole course on how to smile. They said that people tend to trust more on "happy people". In my opinion, candidates should trust on us, and rest assured that you'll be fair with them.

4. Sweet treat

Sometimes I feel exams have a stroke of "treat or trick" because unless I'm sweet and kind students get too nervous or angry if they fail.

For this reason, in order to avoid a scene, I offer some cookies or candies. Believe it or not, they love it so their affective filter lowers (read: Krashen) and their production is much more fluent and accurate.


I hope this tips are useful, please let me know you opinions and suggestions.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario