Welcome!!

All these years as a teacher I've learnt that unless another teacher helps you, there are some problems you can not solve.

This idea triggered this blog, teachers working with teachers. All of us helping each other.

Please, join us!! Let's help each other!!

sábado, 5 de diciembre de 2015

How to Ruin your Lesson in 3 Simple Steps



There are some things we may do out of ignorance or laziness that may affect dramatically our lesson.

1. NEVER PLAN A LESSON

"Why bother? I've taught this lesson before... I don't need to plan it... I'll just open the book and follow the text... Planning is for newbies... "

WRONG!!!!!

I can't believe there are teachers out there that have these kind of arguments!!! Even if you have taught that lesson a million times you always need to revisit it, because the group is different, there needs are different and you are different as well.

I teach the same class 9 times in the same week, but none of them are alike. I always add something different to each of them; first of all because I get bored - imagine, repeating the same thing over an over again...- and second of all because each group likes doing very particular things.

It doesn't require much time, the core lesson is the same but I let some things free for adaptation. And with time, once you know your group, this adaptations become easier.

2. EXPOSE YOUR STUDENTS

"Everybody look how awfully Mary has done this! Let's analyse her mistakes! I'll read your marks aloud... Do you think Mark is right?"

Seriously?? I bet you this teacher wouldn't like to be treated that way.

Mistakes are a very important part of learning, we can learn a lot from them and if we deal with them in the right way, they can be utterly helpful. However, errors are also part of our weakest side and no one likes being pined down as "the weak one". We should try to find a comfortable and natural way to deal with them. (later I'll write more about this)

For the time being, I'll just suggest, don't expose them, don't give names, and don't point anyone out. In the near future I'll post more activities related to error  analysis.

3.DON'T GIVE REASONS

"Just do it! Because I'm your teacher, that the ultimate reason.. When I was your age, we wouldn't question, and everything was fine.."

I don't mean over explain everything, because I know some students enjoy asking too many questions until they find something to prove you wrong or invalid.

What I mean is that we should try to foster critical thinking so that they are not manipulated by tyrannical authorities. In addition, when your decisions stands to reason, then everything is clearer and students can follow you better.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario